Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Renegade

RIP Otis 1981-2015

33 posts in this topic

Owner

Well what can I say. I had known John for going on a little more than two years now. We originally met back in Opium Gaming when I had first started playing there. Otis and I had spoken numerous times during my stay in OG. Most of our conversations pertained to the numerous issues that I had wanted to see fixed within OG because I did love playing there. Unfortunately, a bunch of the things that he had brought up to the other members of staff were shot down and discredited even though they were all things worth looking into or implementing. I myself got fed up with the fact that nothing was getting done within the community and decided that I wanted to split and form my own community with people that actually gave a damn. At that time Otis and I really started to bond and came together to come up with and establish what we currently have now.

The two of us had laid out and planned a bunch of stuff for this community that we really thought would be awesome and he was a big deal to both myself and to CGN. I know that a few of you might not have ever had the pleasure of getting to know Otis but let me tell you, he was one hell of a guy and without him we probably wouldn't all be here right now. I am deeply sad that we lost such a great guy with one of the biggest hearts and the greatest senses of humor I've ever seen within a human being.

I do fully plan on carrying out what we had planned for this community in his honor.

In his honor I’d like to arrange a viewing of Yeti: A Love Story with the community. For those of you that don't know, this was one of Otis's favorite troma films that he loved to share with people. Judge and myself were the only two to my knowledge who ever powered through the entire film and I think it would be a great way to remember some of the good times we all had. I'll be posting the get together time sometime later this week for anyone who's interested in getting together to watch it.

Rest In Peace Otis.

QZr8lop.jpg

vmBS5jk.jpg

q9XLk4P.jpg

WpQeFZ3.jpg

10 people like this

Is it known, or can it be shared how he passed? But that is pretty shitty, RIP good sir!

5 people like this

Truly one of the greatest guys I have ever had the chance of knowing. Never a dull moment with you and I wouldn't trade these past 2 years for anything. Otis I will truly miss you and wish I got to spend more time with you before your passing. Rest in peace Otis you will never be forgotten. Have a good time with that flawless internet connection bud.

Shortly after I started playing on CGN, I had the pleasure of chatting with Otis for about an hour, maybe an hour and a half, on Steam. It wasn't anything of much importance, just a couple of guys chatting about life, wives, and video games. It was immediately apparent to me that Otis was passionate about the community and gaming in general. He was a genuinely good man who was kind, patient, and eager to help anyone who asked. His type is rare in this world and he will be sorely missed.

Rest in peace, Otis.

Owner

He had a heart attack Lion. I hope that he went quick and without pain and is in a nice place now.

Only spoke with Otis a handful of times, but could easily tell he was a genuine and very respectable person. The world could use more people like him.

RIP Otis.

simply a great guy, RIP.

hopefully his vision for this community plays out

I just wish I had a chance to tell him thank you and goodbye...

6 people like this

Owner

Otis' wife here.

As Renegade said he suffered from an, unfortunately, fatal heart attack. I won't get mushy on you guys but I just wanted it to be known how much he loved this community and how much he was really working and putting in the research and effort to try and make it succeed. Things have been slower going than he intended, and I really wish I had paid more attention to his wants/desires and efforts into this community. He lived and breathed CGN and I hope that people will be able to appreciate that.

I intend to do what I can to help Renegade continue to carry out Otis' honor/memory and see what we can do to keep pushing CGN forward into the future.

And I'd like to say thank you in advance for all of the sympathy wishes; this is a large community and I won't be able to always respond individually to stuff.

--Valnara

12 people like this

I still cant really wrap my head around how this can happen to such a great person. Who had his best years in front of him he was the most genuine and respectful person i have ever meet on the internet and gave me some great advice when i needed it. He truly cared about the communitys he was apart of and gave it his all to help og and make cgn the best community possible. Renegade I wish you nothing but the best on running cgn and i hope you can carry his legacy and vision for cgn.

8 people like this

Owner

I added some pictures of Otis to the main post.

Edit: Thank you for the kind words Mixed.

11 people like this

Well that absolutely sucks.

I didn't speak with Otis a great deal but he always seemed like an absolute character, always so full of life and humour. He seemed to have a serious passion for this community and everyone in it, I truly hope we can all stick together and see his vision through.

My deepest condolences Valnara, we may not be the biggest community but if there's anything CGN can do to help I'd sure love to think we'll do our best for you.

RIP Otis.

5 people like this

writing this with blurry eyes so i apologize if there are some spelling mistakes. regardless of how some of you feel about me, i just wanted to give my condolences .. i knew otis for 5-6 years and started opium with him. he was a good friend of mine and iv been at a loss for words but i thought i should come show some love. last week me and him talked for around and hour just about life and CGN. listening to him talk about CGN has always been inspiring to me. tonight when i got the news i couldnt help but cry .. i still feel weak thinking that hes no longer with us. to his loving wife .. my condolences, .. u were his rock and it was a pleasure knowing you.

lots of things iv done against CGN that im not proud about. looking back on it otis had done nothing but be a true friend to me.

im ashamed i didnt apologize more in the time i had before his passing.

iv come to the end of my gaming days. i think hearing this news today has made me realize that i need to focus more on my life and my health.

its been a ride .. from Wazz to Slayers to OG i think its time i close this chapter of my life. i wish the best for EVERYONE in CGN that worked so hard to make it all possible.

Renegade we've had our differences but i know u'll carry this community well.

goodbye for now, and

Farewell old friend .. ill always remember you.

Rest In Peace

9 people like this

I am an ex root admin of Slayers Gaming. I would like to say that i am sorry for your guys loss! I was just banned off of there forums bc President Evil posted about how sad he was that Otis passed, yet everytime we talked about Otis, President had nothing but negative things to say about Otis. President Evil also DDOSed Otis himself, and the community to get back at Otis for making a trade server. So, i know you guys aren't fans of Slayers, but dont left this fuck tard try to show sympathy for Otis when he had nothing but negative things to say about him. As i said, I am sorry for the loss! I hope you guys can push on with what Otis wanted to do with this community.

EDIT:

P.S. If you guys need any help in the future, i would be more than happy to help.

Don't worry man, make CGN your new home now. We aren't toxic like other surf communities are and we definitely don't personally attack other communities like Slayers Gaming has done to us. DDoS'ing another community because you're jealous just proves how immature you are as a whole, especially coming from an admin on that server, which is pretty pathetic of him to do that.

3 people like this

Im gunna miss the days when I would wander into the teamspeak channel with otis and be welcomed with a hey man. Otis was one of the funniest guys I've met in a while, and man that stupid yeti love story. Otis spent 45 minuets talking about this freaking movie. The first time i met Otis we talked for about 2-3 hours about him on SWTOR, how he started in OG, and what he's planning on doing with CGN. This was a while ago, and i could hear the passion behind his voice about how much he wanted CGN to thrive and what he was planning on doing in order to make this amazing community succeed. Otis really cared about everyone around him, good or bad, Otis tried to find the best in everyone. It was extremely shocking to see he passed so suddenly, and it deeply saddens me to know that he is gone. Rest in piece Otis, I hope that this community will continue to show the same passion and love that you showed for CGN. Good luck up there man.

Otis was one of the nicest, kindest guys you could ever meet. Huge heart, always had time to talk about anything at all and never a bad word to say about anyone. It showed how much he loved CGN in how much effort he put into it. I just can't put it into words, how I feel about it. It's awful.

When I heard the news, I truly thought it was a sick joke. It still hasn't set in yet. Otis really was a great guy and there were times when we would just sit in the TS server and talk about life, about working, about drinking, and about CGN. This is the first online community I've been a part of and if it wasn't for Otis I probably would have never known what being part of a great community is all about. Please Valnara if you login and see this, let us know if there is anything any of us could do for you to help out. I would like to get together a little donation that we could send you to help with expenses.

I just found out about this now, I can't help but cry. I cannot believe what just happened. He's one of the main reasons why I am with CGN. He's very welcoming, so kind, funny and such a genuine person. I will miss the back and forth jokes, his humor, and just the friendship.

To everyone, let's be closer than ever and work together make this community grow more. Let's fulfill Otis' vision.

Valnara, I know how hard it is to lose your most special person. We're all here for you. If there is anything that we can do to help. Please let us know.

RIP OTIS

I will miss your silly jokes. I will miss you.

I'm very sorry to hear about this :(, Otis was a great guy. If there is anything I can do to help his family, please let me know! May you rest in peace...

I will miss you much brother. Someone that helped me out in a time of need. I called him one day on his cell phone and talking to him in TS and asked him to lend me $140 to help pay for something I could not. (Nothing Bad) This awesome brother of mine met with me at hooters in the "Mall of America" bought me beer and gave me the $140 in cash. I immediately payed him back just 3 days after he let me borrow the money with interest. You are not only my savior but also someone I can look up to as an older brother. I will miss you and I will see you on the other side bro!!!!! YOU WILL FUCKING NEVER BE MISSED!!!!! Please Send me a PM with your house address. I want to stop by and pay my repects T.T

Otis was one of the people i could always go to talk to about the server, he loved this community and it was his passion. I will do everything in my power to make everyone remember the legacy he left behind. I personally only knew Otis for a short time. but these times will be cherished and i will always hold them close to my heart.

RIP Otis, I Wish i knew you longer then i had, and hope you are in a better place now. By reading the comments and OP i cant help but get choked as i remember our last conversation vividly now & Cherish every moment with those you love at every stage of your journey

3 people like this

Thank you for everything, OTISI still can't believe it :/ Thanks for my steam background. It'll never be changed ever.

So sad to see Otis go, he was such a great person and friend to everyone and anytime I needed help with something he would offer help if I asked him. Just shows how short life really is =(. Otis will be always be missed and will never be forgotten. May Otis rest in peace...

This is incredibly upsetting news, I know I haven't been around much but that'll be changing pretty soon. I can't believe something like this happened to such an awesome guy. RIP Otis, I know that I can full heartily say we will all miss you a great deal.

During the time I knew Otis, he never once struck me as anything but a great guy, and was also a person that I had huge respect for.

Rest In Peace Otis, you will be missed.